Thursday, February 5, 2009

"Dell 2709W 27" Monitor"


Back to Technology + log in to reply
Poster Message
03 Dec '08 21:05:56
Seems like a decent bargain at just under 450 quid.

Looking for something to use a monitor / general TV and would using it mainly for PC gaming.... plenty of arcade stuff from distance plus the other usual stuff, watching HD rips of movies, but also the big bonus is that it has component for my Wii and an HDMI port for an XBox 360 which I'm planning to get in the next fewe months as well.

Was wondering if anyone knew any big reason not to get it, from what I can see there is nothing better at that size for less than 700 quid even when I also consider 1080P TVs, which is way over what I can afford.

send message | log in to reply!
03 Dec '08 21:08:15
I want. Gonna keep an eye on this thread to see if it's worth it.
send message | log in to reply!
03 Dec '08 21:15:18
I've got one of the following for christmas, I have high hopes for it. Only 22 inches though, but has built in freview tuner/speakers if that's your kind of thing.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149990

Contrast ratio on yours seems a bit low considering it's dynamic, mind.

Edited by DUFFKING at 21:16:01 03-12-2008
send message | log in to reply!
03 Dec '08 21:26:59
The 27" size is pretty vital, especially for playing racing games, my eyes aren't 100% and I can't react as well as I'd like when playing them.
send message | log in to reply!
03 Dec '08 22:08:51
Ive got the 24" version. (We'll ive the 2409W but i dunno if the specs match up) Its pretty good. Even the viewing angles are good for a TN-based TFT. Blacks aren't anything to write home about but the colours are vibrant (after some setting changes) and the monitor is bright. Too bright, so I'd to turn it down
send message | log in to reply!
03 Dec '08 22:11:35
The 24" Dell I saw had HDMI, and it doesn't look like this one does.
send message | log in to reply!
03 Dec '08 22:19:39
Youre given a DVI->HDMI converter and the DVI slot has HDCP so makes little difference
send message | log in to reply!
03 Dec '08 22:27:55
ecureuil wrote:
The 24" Dell I saw had HDMI, and it doesn't look like this one does.
From their site:
High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI)
Digital Visual Interface (DVI) with High Definition Content Protection (HDCP)
DisplayPort
Video Graphics Array (VGA), Composite Video, Component Video
This is quite a biggy for me because there's no way I can save up the cash for a decent AV amp for a long time and with all the connections it'll always have some use.

The cons are that the pixels are .303 not 0.24 and some people report slight input lag.

There's just no way I can afford anything better though, which is why I posted in the hope someone would find something without those cons.

Edited by DodgyPast at 22:30:35 03-12-2008
send message | log in to reply!
03 Dec '08 22:29:28
Oh, so it does. :) All those spec sheets tend to blur in to one big mess of nothingness for me.
send message | log in to reply!
03 Dec '08 22:31:38
The display port is actually a potential bonus since if I went for a graphics card with that in the future the 2nd DVI could be used for another HDMI.
send message | log in to reply!
03 Dec '08 22:32:56
So when are you gonna get it? :)
send message | log in to reply!
03 Dec '08 22:40:17
Aiming to have it delivered around the 16th of December. Sadly my card's still registered to my mother's address and I'll have to wait until about the 20th to collect it.
send message | log in to reply!
03 Dec '08 23:50:03
Well, let us know how it is.
send message | log in to reply!
04 Dec '08 00:02:02
DodgyPast wrote:
ecureuil wrote:
The 24" Dell I saw had HDMI, and it doesn't look like this one does.
From their site:
High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI)
Digital Visual Interface (DVI) with High Definition Content Protection (HDCP)
DisplayPort
Video Graphics Array (VGA), Composite Video, Component Video
This is quite a biggy for me because there's no way I can save up the cash for a decent AV amp for a long time and with all the connections it'll always have some use.

The cons are that the pixels are .303 not 0.24 and some people report slight input lag.

There's just no way I can afford anything better though, which is why I posted in the hope someone would find something without those cons.


The pixels are big because it will only output 1920x1200 - the same as the 24". You need the 30" to get higher res and appropriately sized pixels.

You might be better with a cheaper 24". Go to HardOCP and talk endlessly about minute details of every mm of the monitor you want, then realise there are 15 different types of the one model you want as Dell buy the TN or SIPS screens from different manufacturers.

And of course, if the HDMI port is made by some useless Hong Kong company instead of the superior port from the Taiwan supplier that Dell switched over from at 0534hrs on 23rd September 2008. You can easily tell by the last 18 digits of the serial number.

Edited by Red Moose at 00:04:51 04-12-2008
send message | log in to reply!
04 Dec '08 00:11:05
Sound a little bitter there, RedMoose. Had a bit of fun choosing a monitor i'd guess?
send message | log in to reply!
23 Dec '08 19:37:23
Quick bump as I now have it attached to a 1Gb 4870.

Still usable as a standard monitor, going to get a bit of getting used to the extra width.

When it comes to gaming though, god does it shine.... GRiD runs beautifully at 1920x1200, seems like you can see for miles.

The heat sensitive buttons are very cool and my eyes aren't good enough to worry about the dot pitch stuff, nor is my wallet able to afford a better graphics card to drive anything more than 1920x1200.

TV shows are definitely big enough and HD movies aren't bad.... a bigger screen would be nice there.

Haven't had a chance to try it with the Wii or the PS2 via component yet though.
send message | log in to reply!
24 Dec '08 12:33:12
Cheers for the update, it sounds great. I'm already using a widescreen monitor (19in) so I wouldn't have to worry about getting used to that. I'll look in to getting one asap, thanks. :)
send message | log in to reply!
26 Dec '08 00:05:21
How's this one? The 27" is perhaps a bit expensive for me. This one looks like the next model down, although the design is a bit different. Or should I get this?
send message | log in to reply!
26 Dec '08 00:39:49
ecureuil wrote:
How's this one? The 27" is perhaps a bit expensive for me. This one looks like the next model down, although the design is a bit different. Or should I get this?
Not sure about those two, guessing there must be some significant difference because the one down from mine is this.

Looking over the specs the only thing I can see is the contrast is lower.

I did think about going for a cheaper 24" to save cash but with so many options I ended up figuring the 27" would at least be a quality option that would last me many years.

There is a bit of useful info here.

This thread on AVForums, seems to indicate that for the price the S2409W is a good model for gaming. TakeTheVeil does mention having one of these.

The more expensive one I linked is S-PVA like my 27" whereas the cheaper ones you linked are TN. I do have to say the black is superb on it which is useful when watching anything that still has either horizontal or vertical bars.

Edited by DodgyPast at 01:00:03 26-12-2008
send message | log in to reply!
26 Dec '08 01:05:18
Hmm, the 24" is almost as much as the 27" so if I was to pay that much, there's virtually no reason to even get the 24" screen, is there?

I don't even have £400 at the moment, which sort of prices me out of those screens unless I wait. As a graphic designer, I really need an S-PVA screen don't I?

Edited by ecureuil at 01:05:29 26-12-2008
send message | log in to reply!
26 Dec '08 01:17:09
Merry Christmas, before I go to bed: the reason to get the 24" is if you are balancing colour/pixel size and display type.

I think the Dell 2709 is excellent, but I'd expect more res and brighter colours for the money, as 24" is dirt cheap now.

Dual 30" = the future! Then you can be like the "Comand Centre" guy from Die Hard 4.0.
send message | log in to reply!
26 Dec '08 10:02:53
ecureuil wrote:
Hmm, the 24" is almost as much as the 27" so if I was to pay that much, there's virtually no reason to even get the 24" screen, is there?

I don't even have £400 at the moment, which sort of prices me out of those screens unless I wait. As a graphic designer, I really need an S-PVA screen don't I?
If it's your profession then the superior colour vs. T.N. is worth consideration.

Personally I'd say it depends on how long you want to use the monitor for before you buy another, I suspect this dell will get 5+ years of use and even after that will always be a superb TV, so it was worth saving up for. Though I don't think you'd regret a 24" T.N. if it's only for gaming and working.

Going for a higher res. also means needing more expensive graphics cards and 1900x1200 seems to fit the one I've got quite well.

Mind you I was saving for 6 months to get the graphics card and monitor.

Edited by DodgyPast at 10:04:56 26-12-2008
send message | log in to reply!
26 Dec '08 10:56:32
Cheers. My graphics card should be able to support higher resolutions (currently in 1440x900) but I'm planning to get a new computer within 6 months anyway. If I'm going to save up a bit more cash, I might as well get the 27", right?
send message | log in to reply!
26 Dec '08 11:38:45
My old monitor (CRT) went all 'beer goggles' fuzzy last month and no amount of percussion therapy fixed it, so I bought a new one. Managed to swag a Samsung T200 from Dixons for £146 - 20" widescreen, 2ms 20000:1 thingy. It is totally the sex after so long on 17" CRT, particularly one that was fuzzing out so bad I could hardly read text anymore.

My God, it's full of stars!
send message | log in to reply!
26 Dec '08 15:04:00
ecureuil wrote:
Cheers. My graphics card should be able to support higher resolutions (currently in 1440x900) but I'm planning to get a new computer within 6 months anyway. If I'm going to save up a bit more cash, I might as well get the 27", right?
That was my thinking.

I'm not very good at buying stuff, I spent months searching for what I want and always end up with relatively expensive high end stuff as a result as by the time I buy it I've saved more than I expect.

It is absolutely gorgeous, and if you think 27" is worth it then it is the one, but if 24" is enough I suspect something cheaper would 'do' and save you a couple of hundred quid.
send message | log in to reply!
08 Jan '09 13:58:12
It arrived today. \o/ Got the 27" screen - it is absolutely fucking massive. And I love it. :D About to set the 360 up on there.
send message | log in to reply!
08 Jan '09 13:59:44
How much?
send message | log in to reply!
08 Jan '09 14:07:08
The exact one in the first post, from that very site - £450.

I'm guessing that I'll have to connect my 360 Elite via VGA instead of HDMI, if I want to play my games with sound?
send message | log in to reply!
08 Jan '09 14:12:31
I still fancy that 24" Dell with 80,000:1 contrast ratio and something like a 2048x1152 resolution. £210 or thereabouts. Niiice.
send message | log in to reply!
08 Jan '09 14:13:48
Bought a Dell monitor 16 months ago and I absolutely love it.

Worth every penny

No comments: